Getting Around Joburg
Jo'burg is very spread out with no single city centre but rather a number of different areas and neighbourhoods. Parkmore, Sandton is very centrally located.
The central suburbs and areas of Rosebank, Sandton, Randburg and Jo'burg Central as well as main highways and motorways are easily accessed
We are able to arrange meter taxis to anywhere in Johannesburg and surrounding areas.
Airport Transfers are easily arranged by us; allowing the driver to meet you and bring you through to Claires. For this, we would need your flight details.
High Speed Train To And From The Airport
For a single person the Gautrain is a very practical way of getting to and from the airport. It is fast, safe, clean and efficient.
Cost To Sandton:
- Weekdays Peak periods 05h30 to 08h30 | 16h00 to 19h00 Every 12 mins
- Weekdays off peak 08h30 to 16h00 | 19h00 to 20h30 every 20 mins
- Weekends: every 30 mins
- Cost from OR Tambo is R135 per person plus R13 for the Gautrain card
- Time of train trip is 12 minutes
Transfer from the Gautrain station to Claires can be arranged. We would require your arrival time.
For general information on the Gautrain see www.gautrain.co.za
Johannesburg Taxi Services
There are NO roaming taxis that can be 'hailed' from the roadside. Although locals use mini-bus taxis, these are largely unregulated and require too much local knowledge to be used by visitors. There are very few places where you can hail a taxi in the street; it is best to call and book in advance. Many taxis do not use meters, so arrange a price at the start of your trip. From Sandton City to Claires you can expect to pay anywhere from R80 - R120.
The following taxis run on meters:
- Orange Taxis 0861 700 222 or +27 76 205 8031 www.orangecab.co.za
- Quick Cab +27 76 043 3617 or +27 73 447 2595
- Uber. You will need a Smart phone to download the Uber app www.uber.com which puts you in touch with the nearest available taxi, takes payment via credit card, enables you to check your route and receive reliable arrival times.
There are 2 international airports serving Johannesburg. O.R. Tambo on the east of Johannesburg and Lanseria Airport to the north. If you are travelling internally you need to be at the airport an hour before take-off time and if travelling internationally then you are required to be there 2 hours before take-off.
The restrictions for cabin baggage are as follows: (they are very strict with these restrictions)
- 1 bag + laptop for economy class passengers
- 2 bags + laptop for business/ first class passengers
- Weight of each bag may not exceed 7kg Total dimensions of each bag may not exceed 115cm (56cm + 36cm + 23cm).
There are many car rental companies operating from the airports where all the major international brands such as Hertz, Europcar, Avis, Sixt etc are represented as well as Budget, Tempest, Thrifty and First and more. There are also a number of car rental companies based outside the Gautrain Station in Sandton.
For more info www.drivesouthafrica.co.za/car-hire/
For an alternative option, Tuk-Tuks are a fairly new addition to our public transport infrastructure. Their rates are fairly reasonable, with a trip to Sandton CBD costing around R50.
For more info www.sheshatuks.co.za